2013 was an amazing year for Casa Valentina!
- Our Community Appreciation Luncheon was a success! Close to 150 people attended, and enjoyed delicious food from EVOS, and a meaningful and interesting presentation by Dr. Peter Gorski, Chief Health and Child Development Officer at The Children’s Trust. We honored The Trust with the Casa Valentina Founders’ Award, and presented awards to partners The Young Parents Project and the University of Miami School of Education and Human Development.
- We were proud to participate in the One Billion Rising event on February 14. We loved gathering with more than 1500 women at Soundscape Park to strike, dance and rise against violence.
- The Sisterhood of Temple Beth Am gave our residents a delightful evening of cuisine with personal chef Alice Palombo. It was a night to remember!
- We were honored to participate with Our Kids and Dade County Legal Aid in a presentation at the 10th Annual Florida Association of Family and Conciliation Courts conference in Orlando. Our presentation addressed “Challenges Facing Youth Aging out of Foster Care” in Miami-Dade County.
- Two of our moms received scholarships from the National Council of Jewish Women. We thank NCJW for its ongoing support!
- Our fantastic Program Director, Natalia Giordano, joined the Casa Valentina team! She is doing wonderful things for our residents and our program!
- We were proud to make the first “match” through the Neighbors 4 Neighbors Helping Feels Good website, and connect with professional organizer Gayle Jacobs. She has been a tremendous asset for Casa Valentina.
- We received a NOVO Award from the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce!
- Ikea generously donated the furniture from its Miami store groundbreaking to Casa Valentina.
- Six residents graduated from high school, or earned AB degrees!
- We welcomed our outstanding Program Coordinators, Melissa Davidson and Dashweil Ervin. They work tirelessly to help our clients.
- Our Educational Specialist, Dashia Dawson, joined the team. She is working hard to help our residents succeed in school.
- The staff from Heery International’s Coral Gables office updated our office, transforming it into a beautiful and user-friendly space.
- We had a fun evening at Game Time, where our residents enjoyed showing off their arcade skills.
- We held a Fun and Flavorful Fundraiser at California Pizza Kitchen. Yum!
- We held a wonderful movie event, screening critically and audience-acclaimed film “Short Term 12” and hosting a (Skype) discussion with the director.
- Resident Kimberly was named a 2013 Sun Life Rising Star, and received a $5000 scholarship from Sun Life and The Miami Dolphins Foundation. We got a grant too!
- We completed a renovation of our Community Room, and dedicated it to our dearly beloved founding Program Director, Sharon Katz.
- We launched our new and improved volunteer program.
- We unveiled our newly renovated Coconut Grove apartments, and welcomed supporters to a ribbon cutting ceremony.
- We raised over $30,000 through Give Miami Day! Thanks to everyone for your support.
- Two moms earned their GEDs!
- We were recognized by Bank of America as a 2013 Neighborhood Builder. We are so grateful!